Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 28, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #1,306 of 1,320
Question: anyone here using their Holo May with Roon?
I have a very frustrating technical issue that I have been trying to debug...
Basically, as a relatively new Roon user, I tried to add the May as an output device / audio zone, but Roon does not show it at all :frowning2:
Setup is:
* Roon Core running on dedicated NUC (ROCK).
* Roon Remote running on a Win10 PC.
* Holo May connected to Win10 PC with USB cable.

I tested the hardware by using Jriver MC on Win10 and successfully played music on the May.
Roon (Remote) does not see ANY device connected to local Win10 PC:

I have confirmed that both Roon Remote and Roon Server - are the latest versions.
Both ROCK and Win10 PC - were rebooted. Twice.

ANY help is very welcome :pray:

you've got the wrong software on the win10 pc -- you need the right software for it to be treated as a zone. you have to download/install roon bridge. roon remote serves only a control interface.

as @genefruit mentions below, did you mis-describe what you've installed where?

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #1,307 of 1,320
you've got the wrong software on the win10 pc -- you need the right software for it to be treated as a zone. you have to download/install roon bridge. roon remote serves only a control interface.
Original poster, please clarify if you’re running Roon desktop. I don’t think Roon Remote runs on a PC

May 28, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #1,308 of 1,320
Yes. Unfortunately, that made no difference at all. Jriver worked before and after installing the driver. Roon did not work before, and still no joy after :disappointed:
I don’t recall if Jriver takes exclusive control of a DAC. Please check to ensure Jriver client and server isn’t running on the machine the DAC is connected to.

May 28, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,309 of 1,320
Does holding the power button for a few seconds put the May in standby ? Do I need to press the power button again to leave standby or will it auto-detect a signal and turn back ?_?

May 28, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,310 of 1,320
Make sure usb input is selected on the may. If it's set to i2s or coax or something the USB input is disabled entirely and the connected pc won't see it
I did (and tested with Jriver MC running on same Win10 PC...) :wink:

May 28, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,311 of 1,320
Does holding the power button for a few seconds put the May in standby ? Do I need to press the power button again to leave standby or will it auto-detect a signal and turn back ?_?
yes and yes

May 28, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #1,312 of 1,320
I think it is the right software. See:
1716915182139.png

Original poster, please clarify if you’re running Roon desktop. I don’t think Roon Remote runs on a PC
I believe it is the Roon desktop, but it self identifies itself as "Roon Remote" - see screenshot above.
I don’t recall if Jriver takes exclusive control of a DAC. Please check to ensure Jriver client and server isn’t running on the machine the DAC is connected to.
I did verify Jriver is not running.

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. Debug will resume tonight when I get back home...

May 28, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,313 of 1,320
I think it is the right software. See:

I believe it is the Roon desktop, but it self identifies itself as "Roon Remote" - see screenshot above.

I did verify Jriver is not running.

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. Debug will resume tonight when I get back home...

you need roon bridge installed on that pc -- that should fix your problem.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,314 of 1,320
Is your pc seeing the DAC at all? Probably best first to determine if this is a roon issue or a hardware/setup issue

May 28, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,315 of 1,320
you need roon bridge installed on that pc -- that should fix your problem.
Interesting... I will look into it when I get home!

Is your pc seeing the DAC at all? Probably best first to determine if this is a roon issue or a hardware/setup issue
Yes. Used Jriver MC to play audio (same Win10 PC, same USB connected Holo May). That was my sanity check that the issue is NOT a hardware or physical setup issue...

May 28, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #1,316 of 1,320
Interesting... I will look into it when I get home!

Yes. Used Jriver MC to play audio (same Win10 PC, same USB connected Holo May). That was my sanity check that the issue is NOT a hardware or physical setup issue...
In that case it's likely a network issue. How is your network set up?

Due to some of the underlying protocols roon relies on if you have an unorthodox setup or are running via a vpn such as tailscale it may not see or be able to access devices even if the roon remote client itself is able to communicate with the core

May 28, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,317 of 1,320
Delete

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #1,318 of 1,320

Due to some of the underlying protocols roon relies on if you have an unorthodox setup or are running via a vpn such as tailscale it may not see or be able to access devices even if the roon remote client itself is able to communicate with the core
I already got tips on the Roon community to check Windows firewall on my Win10 PC. See if it blocks Roon Core from seeing it...
I am going to disable the firewall temporarily, to see if it starts working. If so - firewall settings need to be somehow fixed.
Otherwise - will need new idea. Will post an update later tonight.

May 29, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #1,319 of 1,320
Quick update:
It was the Windows Firewall on the Win10 PC... After disabling it - it started working. So I re-enabled and played with various settings, not thinking I changed anything actually but now it works. Maybe disable / enable refreshed some tables or something? 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, I am in business now, and that will enable trying out HQplayer for the first time, and A/B it with/without HQP. But that is a mini project for next time I have time (on a weekend).

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. Much appreciated!

May 29, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #1,320 of 1,320

good call!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back