Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
May 30, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,716 of 2,722
Question: Single ended vs. XLR input.

I've got both outputs from my DAC into the WA22. When I toggle between SE and XLR, I cannot hear any difference. Not even a perceptible change in volume. *Maybe* the slightest of slightest increase in volume on XLR, but it might be a placebo effect. Sound quality seems identical. Do you guys notice any difference?
What DAC do you have? Not all XLR outputs are actually balanced, they are just the same single ended signal that is on the RCA outputs.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #2,717 of 2,722
What DAC do you have? Not all XLR outputs are actually balanced, they are just the same single ended signal that is on the RCA outputs.
Good point. I have the RME ADI2, which might be outputting what you've described.

May 30, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #2,718 of 2,722
Have any of you owners used your WA22 as a preamp? I'm trying it for the first time today and listening right now as I type this. Not sure what difference I should be hearing, but perhaps it's a tad more present/resonant in the bass & sub-bass? If there is anything additional there, I think it's slight. Curious on your experiences with the WA22 as a pre?

In my experience, it's not really worth it in most cases to run a tube amplifier as a preamp into a solid state amplifier. You're basically adding distortion into the signal chain without that sort of amorphous sense of space that many tube amplifiers provide. I've had a few small exceptions to this (e.g. the Cavalli Liquid Glass), but for the most part it worsens the signal chain.

May 30, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #2,719 of 2,722

I've got both outputs from my DAC into the WA22. When I toggle between SE and XLR, I cannot hear any difference. Not even a perceptible change in volume. *Maybe* the slightest of slightest increase in volume on XLR, but it might be a placebo effect. Sound quality seems identical. Do you guys notice any difference?

I have tried my Topping E70V using both the XLR and RCA into the WA22 and noticed no difference. My everyday use for WA22 is in a vinyl setup with the output from a Hagerman Trumpet MC directly into the WA22 by either RCA or XLR (using RCA to XLR interconnects .... yes I know it's not balanced). Again, I don't notice any improvement and I don't have any hum or other noise issues.

So, I feel confident to just use either and enjoy the WA22.

I did add some metal covers to the Pre outs and of course the RCA shorting plugs. I don't need them for noise issues but I do like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/BEKER-Female...=1717091450&sprefix=xlr+covers,aps,523&sr=8-7

20240530_104448.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #2,720 of 2,722
In my experience, it's not really worth it in most cases to run a tube amplifier as a preamp into a solid state amplifier. You're basically adding distortion into the signal chain without that sort of amorphous sense of space that many tube amplifiers provide. I've had a few small exceptions to this (e.g. the Cavalli Liquid Glass), but for the most part it worsens the signal chain.
I’ve had very decent results with my WA22 pre amping the Schiit Kara via balanced interconnection. I leave the WA22 at 2 o’clock and run my Schiit Kara in passive mode and it is quite excellent. I find this pairing better than the WA22 pre amping my Pathos Aurium. That pairing was just too much syrup in the coffee if you will. A lot of mid range but not much depth. Kara is a better pairing and of course vice versa is even better. ☺️

May 31, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #2,721 of 2,722
May 31, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,722 of 2,722

I will have to try this out the next time I am listening to it… I wonder if the newer models are better about this with the phase splitters (I don’t remember if they have them on the RCA inputs for this one or not, but I think they do). I had read that it was only using one of the dual triodes in the driver and power tubes when playing a single-ended signal before, so it was cutting power dramatically, but I think the updates with the v2 might have changed that… That would get rid of the volume / power difference, but If there is a difference, I would guess that it might mess a little bit with phase, which would potentially affect placement / imaging / transients, but really shouldn’t affect note weight, tonality, etc. That is just a guess based on a very limited understanding, but I will give it a listen soon and let you know if I hear anything. I do know it sounds great from the single ended input from my SE-only Qutest, so if there is any disadvantage to the SE inputs, it is going to be vanishingly small…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back