ZMF Auteur Thread
May 30, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #8,431 of 8,441
Auteur OG really benefits from the control and tightness of SS amps. So much so that I'm currently questioning if it's worth it to trade all that for the extra mid range euphonics that you get from tubes. The OG drivers are already fast and tonaly sweet that I think I might prefer SS with them instead of the exaggeration they give with tubes.
Unless we are talking very high end tubes I agree that SS and hybrids with SS output is the correct formula. Planar bass strong points are rise time and air movement which results in a quick and solid impact audibly. Open backs support that generally, but there is usually some loss of bass under 60. Some like the extra bass with the backwave blocked but it just muddies up the initial impact IMO (w/o ports) - thankfully almost all planars I know take very well to EQ (assuming enough amp headroom), and you can get the bass back with the impact/speed intact.

Tubes I have tried with HFM planars tend to blunt that impact described above, and hence the advantage - and of course OTL amps are a no go with planars at/under 60 ohms (if not a bit higher).

@Cat Whisperer Bob's Auteur sounds quite excellent with the Liquid Platinum (hybrid) and the Aune S17 - in that session Autuer > HEK Stealth >> HE-6 SE >>> HD-600 (on both amps).

May 30, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #8,432 of 8,441
Can any of you guys compare the Auteur OG to the Dan Clark Ether 2? I know the latter is planar, but curious about similarities? I ask because someone kindly offered me a trade for my Auteur and of course, I'm curious!

Ha! I have both right now and I can comment a little, though I'm not sure if I have the right amp for the ether 2. I have a few pairings to try yet so we'll see. I've tested the ether on the schiit mjolnir 2 so far. It's a very flat plannar sound with good texture and timbre. For me I wouldnt trade my auteur for it though. The ZMF is easily twice as dynamic at low volumes. Crank the ether up high and you will be amazed, but this is not so wise. If you have heard the LCD-2, the audeze has a more favorable tuning and I think more of a natural resolution.

I've been lazy recently by only testing my headphones on one amp so I will have to keep you posted. If you want you can msg me and I will keep you updated.

May 30, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #8,434 of 8,441
I love my OGs on my tube amp, but I don’t think my tubes are that tubey.
Yeah I think that's the main thing. The Auteurs are just SO sensitive to source gear, that they can easily sound overly warm and "crowded" on a bloated tube setup. I don't really like my Auteurs on my Bottlehead Crack, for example. A more neutral tube amp experience will give you a more "neutral" Auteur sound, which is what many, myself included, prefer.

May 31, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #8,435 of 8,441
Yeah I think that's the main thing. The Auteurs are just SO sensitive to source gear, that they can easily sound overly warm and "crowded" on a bloated tube setup. I don't really like my Auteurs on my Bottlehead Crack, for example. A more neutral tube amp experience will give you a more "neutral" Auteur sound, which is what many, myself included, prefer.
.... Auteur OG will let you know whether your DAC is non-oversampling R2R (natural) or delta-sigma chip based (technicolour) .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 31, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #8,436 of 8,441
I can’t say I agree, but it could have been the solid state amps I tried.

I never really loved the Auteur OGs or got what the fuss was about until I tried them on tubes.

With the Massdrop THX AAA 789, RME ADI-2 DAC built in amp, and the Schiit Ragnarok 2 I always thought they looked beautiful but sounded too closed in, muffled, and sub-par.

Pairing them with the Folkvangr brought them to life and completely changed my view about how they sound.

I haven’t tried them with my new MJ3 yet though, so that’s certainly worth a shot.
My personal case matched this; had them off a Zen Can and Violectric V202 for a while and never really loved them for whatever reason; they just didn't get much rotation. Just got a Feliks Audio MKii and I find they sing- haven't been able to get them off my head since. Amazing and strange how something can synergize and hit right in a way that captivates. ..not sure why the magic happens, but happen it does for my ears - and I'm so grateful for that!

May 31, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #8,437 of 8,441
My personal case matched this; had them off a Zen Can and Violectric V202 for a while and never really loved them for whatever reason; they just didn't get much rotation. Just got a Feliks Audio MKii and I find they sing- haven't been able to get them off my head since. Amazing and strange how something can synergize and hit right in a way that captivates. ..not sure why the magic happens, but happen it does for my ears - and I'm so grateful for that!
I did try them off of my MJ3 last night and they still sounded dead to me from it. Switched back to the Folkvangr and my foot started tapping, the magic was back.

I may try removing the mesh this weekend, mine still have the old-school solid mesh, so that might be depressing the top end too much.

The only thing that’s been holding my back is that I don’t know if the driver has any protection if I remove the mesh.

May 31, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #8,438 of 8,441
The only thing that’s been holding my back is that I don’t know if the driver has any protection if I remove the mesh.
All the dynamic ZMFs I have used/seen have a [plastic?] grate that protects the driver. It is open enough that dust or small debris would pass through but the fabric backing of the pad would keep that stuff out. When I had the Verite Closed it had no mesh and only this protective grate.

Just be cautious when removing the mesh as the screws holding it down also hold this grate in place.

May 31, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #8,439 of 8,441
Tell me about it! It’s a hard decision for sure.

All the dynamic ZMFs I have used/seen have a [plastic?] grate that protects the driver. It is open enough that dust or small debris would pass through but the fabric backing of the pad would keep that stuff out. When I had the Verite Closed it had no mesh and only this protective grate.

Just be cautious when removing the mesh as the screws holding it down also hold this grate in place.
Can confirm my VO’s came without the mesh as well so I believe taking it off won’t cause any problems.

Jun 1, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #8,440 of 8,441

The Echo II is my tube amp! I know there is certainly “better” out there, but to me, there’s nothing wrong with this!

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #8,441 of 8,441
The Echo II is my tube amp! I know there is certainly “better” out there, but to me, there’s nothing wrong with this!
Yeah, I am struggling to see what more I might need - I know there is likely far more out there that is a big upgrade - but it feels like I am at a level where the enjoyment I am getting is about where I am very happy to be for a long, long time (well, except for a set of JM Audio XTCs if I can get a good deal perhaps, just for a little variety at the price point😂)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back