ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 18, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #601 of 1,012
Just to elaborate, for those wanting to buy adapters from Mrs X on ebay, she is closing shop on the 20th of this month.

May 18, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #602 of 1,012
This is true, but we still have the custom adapter maker @Deyan, of which I prefer to use anyway.

Deyan does great work! I used to buy his stuff, but I just haven't delved deeply into adapted tubes in a while. I usually just stick to a couple tubes that don't need adapters in my personal amps.

May 18, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #603 of 1,012
Deyan does great work! I used to buy his stuff, but I just haven't delved deeply into adapted tubes in a while. I usually just stick to a couple tubes that don't need adapters in my personal amps.
I totally get staying with tubes that don't need adapters, and I much prefer that look, but I just can't help myself and have to know how they all sound. . . :grinning:

May 18, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #604 of 1,012
I own a box of adapters from Deyan and he made me very good quality ones, even with the problematic side contact european old sockets. I have a full box of them here.

1716028356164.png

In my view these are superior to what other makers have done, so reach out to him and ask him for adapters. He is very flexible, can build whatever you want.

May 18, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #605 of 1,012
I own a box of adapters from Deyan and he made me very good quality ones, even with the problematic side contact european old sockets. I have a full box of them here.

1716028356164.png

In my view these are superior to what other makers have done, so reach out to him and ask him for adapters. He is very flexible, can build whatever you want.

His adapters definitely have a premium feel to them, very well made.

May 18, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #606 of 1,012

1716028356164.png

It was your post that I came across from 2021 about the 807, that has me so excited to hear them. So, I am glad someone with your tube knowledge is hanging out here. :beerchug:

May 18, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #607 of 1,012
His adapters definitely have a premium feel to them, very well made.
He hard wires them too, and doesn't use any pcb like the Ebay one's. First class quality that actually sound better as well.

May 18, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #609 of 1,012
hello, i am new in this tube world and will be purchasing an aegis soon. i have some questions that i hope wont offend the veterans here :smile_phones:

1. do the tubes need to be matched for aegis? (i would like to confirm, i believe i read it has fixed bias or something, so no need?)
2. reading the threads i see that generally the output tubes will bring the most sonic change?
3. for the tubes in aegis, is there like a spot between rectifier, output and input that will have the shortest life?
4. are there output tubes "type" that have a longer lifespan vs others? EG.. EL 34 could have more life than EL 37
5. lastly, how many hours can one expect the tube to be performing optimally? because ive read information that the tube life is dependent on how hard it is being driven and the hours do vary quite abit between circuits (not to mention between tube brand itself, new vs old production etc).

will be running this with caldera open

May 18, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #610 of 1,012
hello, i am new in this tube world and will be purchasing an aegis soon. i have some questions that i hope wont offend the veterans here :smile_phones:

1. do the tubes need to be matched for aegis? (i would like to confirm, i believe i read it has fixed bias or something, so no need?)
2. reading the threads i see that generally the output tubes will bring the most sonic change?
3. for the tubes in aegis, is there like a spot between rectifier, output and input that will have the shortest life?
4. are there output tubes "type" that have a longer lifespan vs others? EG.. EL 34 could have more life than EL 37
5. lastly, how many hours can one expect the tube to be performing optimally? because ive read information that the tube life is dependent on how hard it is being driven and the hours do vary quite abit between circuits (not to mention between tube brand itself, new vs old production etc).

will be running this with caldera open

Hi!

1. They don't necessarily need to be matched in terms of testing, even quite large differences in transconductance result in negligible differences in voltage gain. I tend to buy tubes that are in the ballpark of one another in terms of testing so they bias similarly, that is just my preference, maybe within 10%, but even larger differences won't be audible.
2. Yes, the output tubes will bring the most sonic change.
3. All of the tubes in the amp will last years, I couldn't say which one will have the shortest life, will depend on which tubes are being run and how close to their maximum ratings.
4. Generally, higher power tubes are going to have longer lives than lower power tubes. This is because they are not being biased near their maximum ratings. Low power tubes, like 6V6, EL84, are biased hotter, i.e., closer to max plate dissipation. For that reason, I've recommended using specific rectifiers in the tube compatibility spreadsheet to prolong these tubes' lives.
5. Many, many hours. Thousands. Contrary to a lot of information out there, tubes last a very long time. It is dependent on how hard they are being run. I can't put a specific number on each tube. If you want to monitor their performance / lifespan, I'd recommend getting a tube tester.

May 18, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #611 of 1,012
Hi!

1. They don't necessarily need to be matched in terms of testing, even quite large differences in transconductance result in negligible differences in voltage gain. I tend to buy tubes that are in the ballpark of one another in terms of testing so they bias similarly, that is just my preference, maybe within 10%, but even larger differences won't be audible.
2. Yes, the output tubes will bring the most sonic change.
3. All of the tubes in the amp will last years, I couldn't say which one will have the shortest life, will depend on which tubes are being run and how close to their maximum ratings.
4. Generally, higher power tubes are going to have longer lives than lower power tubes. This is because they are not being biased near their maximum ratings. Low power tubes, like 6V6, EL84, are biased hotter, i.e., closer to max plate dissipation. For that reason, I've recommended using specific rectifiers in the tube compatibility spreadsheet to prolong these tubes' lives.
5. Many, many hours. Thousands. Contrary to a lot of information out there, tubes last a very long time. It is dependent on how hard they are being run. I can't put a specific number on each tube. If you want to monitor their performance / lifespan, I'd recommend getting a tube tester.
hi, awesome, thanks @L0rdGwyn for the very clear answer, and ive also seen your tube compatibilty spread sheet. Now, just have to be patiently wait for aegis to come. 😜

Sure is nice to have the designer of the amp answering one's own queries. ☺️.

May 18, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #612 of 1,012
Sure is nice to have the designer of the amp answering one's own queries. ☺️.
I was just typing the same thing! :grin: Aegis owners have it good.

May 18, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #613 of 1,012
Tung-Sol 6550 and Mullard EL33 landing today :sunglasses: and a final production Aegis which I have not actually yet seen in person! Will post some pics.

May 18, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #614 of 1,012
Are the EL33 a straight fit or do they need an adapter?

May 18, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #615 of 1,012
Are the EL33 a straight fit or do they need an adapter?

Straight fit. Just a question of how they bias as they are low power. Worst case I think they would be fine with a 5Y3 but want to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back